Last week I received an email from a sweet woman who goes by the name Toodie and writes a fantastic home and craft blog, Scrappin’ My Hyde Off, telling me that she’d nominated me for the Liebster Award. From what I’ve been able to find out, this award is presented by bloggers to other bloggers, with a purpose of recognizing newer blogs and welcoming them to the blogosphere. (If you’re interested, an amazing post on the origins and variations of the Liebster Award can be found here.) I was so flattered that Toodie had even noticed my little blog, and on top of that, that she deemed it worthy of the Liebster Award. There are times when I wonder why I’m writing Average But Inspired, but Toodie gave me a some inspiration to keep it going. So, please check out her blog!
Now, Toodie explained that in order to accept the Liebster Award, there are six things that I need to do. And so, here we go. . . .
1. Acknowledge the person who nominated you: Thank you so much, Toodie! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and wish you and Scrappin’ My Hyde Off much success!
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself:
1. Despite being vaccinated against the measles, I got them in kindergarten. It was the worst.
2. I have lived in four states during my 32 years of life – and Illinois (where I am now), is where I’ve lived the longest.
3. I try to wear something interesting every day, whether it be an accessory, shoes, or clothing. That’s proved a little harder now that I’m not going to an office each day, but I still think it’s a good motto to dress by.
4. My first job was a cashier at a grocery store, where I had to wear a burgundy polo shirt and ugly black jeans. Like, man jeans. They didn’t make cute black jeans for women at that point of history. Scarred for life.
5. I got a fortune in a fortune cookie last year that read “you will find an outlet for your creative genius and accomplish a great deal.” I have kept that fortune in my jewelry box since then because, although I’m certainly not a creative genius, I feel like I’m meant to be on a creative path at this point in my life. I just need to hone my skills and buckle down.
6. I was a broadcast journalism major in college, yet I was terrified to appear on air. I hosted an entertainment show on my college’s tv station and wouldn’t let my friends watch it.
7. I have only told a few close friends and family that I’m writing this blog. I’m too scared to tell anybody else that I know!
8. I love having my fingernails painted because it makes me feel put together and glamorous, but I hardly ever have my nails painted. (So yes, I rarely feel glamorous.)
9. I am super impatient. I’m trying to work on that, but it’s hard for me.
10. I am terrified of roller coasters. I rode two several years ago (because my husband convinced me to give them a try again), and I was so scared that I couldn’t even scream.
11. I think about having a third child just so I could use another one of my names that I love. WHAT? That is messed up. (If I have a third child, kindly remind me to destroy this blog post so that he or she does not find it and think he or she was born just to use up a name on my list. Thanks.)
3. Answer 11 questions given to you by the nominator:
1. Do you blog for income or recreation? Recreation.
2. What is your favorite blogging memory? Hmm, probably publishing my first post! I had no idea what I was doing – just jumped right in.
3. Thrifter or new item? As of late, thrifter! I am having a blast finding things at my local Goodwill and dreaming about how I can beautify them.
4. What is the weirdest thing that has happened to you? One time, my husband and I agreed to speak with a magazine reporter about a particular subject on which we had some familiarity. The reporter said she might use the story, but she wasn’t sure. A few months later, the magazine editor contacted us and asked us to appear on the cover of the magazine. We agreed and met with stylists, had our hair (and my makeup) done, were photographed for about eight hours, and then appeared on the cover of a national magazine! It was so crazy! The best part is we didn’t tell anybody about it until the magazine hit stands – we just sent them to stores and told them to pick up that month’s issue of that particular magazine.
5. Ireland or Italy? Oh, this is a tough one! I studied at University College of Dublin for a semester during law school, and found the country of Ireland (and its people), to be beautiful. However, I also visited Rome, Venice and Florence once, and absolutely loved the culture, food and atmosphere of Italy. Since I really want to make it to the Amalfi Coast at some point in my life, I think I’ll have to choose Italy.
6. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Cookie Dough.
7. Have you ever gotten a “freebie” on the side of the road? What is a freebie?!? I am hoping it means a pass from a police officer? If so, NO! They always give me tickets, even if I cry and beg and plead and am super nice to them. Boo.
8. What is the temperature where you live right now? Weather.com says 55 degrees, but I don’t believe it. It feels like 32.
9. What is your favorite crafting supply? Ugh, another hard one! I think I will have to say ribbon. I love how ribbon can change the look and feel of a project entirely, and if you find the right ribbon, you’re golden!
10. Do you have a favorite craft store, or do you prefer the big box stores? I love Michaels!
11. Who do you admire most? My little sister! Is it strange to admire a sibling who is eight years younger than you? She is one of the most selfless people I know, she always has an even keel mood and attitude (which I do not!), she genuinely cares for people and tries to make a difference in others’ lives. On top of that, she is super creative and fun. She’s all around the best!
4. Nominate 11 other bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers:
In no particular order, my nominees are listed below. Each of these bloggers has inspired me with her talent, and I enjoy reading their posts each time I see them. I encourage you to check them out!
2. Merry Mary
4. Home For Now
5. Maggie May’s
11. Inside Me: Nikki Thomas
5. Come up with 11 questions for your nominees:
1. How did you come up with your blog’s name?
2. What’s your favorite blog post that you’ve written (share a link, too)?
3. If you could eat one “unhealthy” food without suffering any negative consequences, what would it be?
4. What’s your favorite color?
5. Will you be shopping on Black Friday, and if so, are you looking for anything in particular?
6. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
7. Do you have a vacation planned anytime soon, and if so, where to?
8. What’s your favorite way to be creative?
9. Should thank you notes be sent via snail mail, or is email okay?
10. Target or Wal-Mart?
11. Do you promote your blog, and if so, how?
6. Notify the bloggers whom you have nominated. (Note: you cannot nominate the person who nominated you.)
OK! I’ll be emailing them or writing a comment on their blog to notify them. I hope that they’ll accept the award and pass it along accordingly.
Thanks to all of you who read this post, or any of my posts!