Chalky Finish Paint Product List
This list contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a small commission at no added cost to you if you purchase through the links. If you’d like to know more, please read my full disclosure policy here.
Chalky Finish Paints I Love
I have tried many brands of chalky finish paint and have found that you don’t have to buy the priciest paints to get the best results! These are the ones I really like:
- DecoArt’s Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint
- FAT Paint
- Country Chic Paint
- ArtMinds Chalky Paint (available at Michaels)
Must-Haves for Every Situation
- Quality Paint Brushes in Variety of Sizes
- Lint-free Rags – used for cleaning piece to be painted and for buffing finishing wax
- Wax Brush – used for applying finishing wax
- Mineral Spirits – used for removing wax from wax brush
- Sealer (use either a wax or a tough coat liquid sealer. My preference is wax, except for on table tops.)
- Finishing Wax
- SC Johnson Paste Wax – this is the wax I use most regularly. It has a strong odor and should be used in a well-ventilated space, but it is easy to use and produces a gorgeous, durable, and velvety finish every time. I love it!
- Americana Décor Crème Wax – this wax has hardly any odor and is a much thinner consistency than the SC Johnson Paste Wax. I can’t speak to its long-term durability on furniture, but I have had good results with it on decorative accent pieces.
- General Finishes High Performance Topcoat– this is used in place of a finishing wax. I love it on tabletops.
- Finishing Wax
- Drop cloth – to protect your work surfaces.
Other Supplies You May Want or Need
- 220 grit Sandpaper
- Electric sander – for pieces that need to be roughed up or have damage removed prior to painting.
- Drill Head Buffer – makes buffing waxed pieces so much easier!
- Bench Cookies – boosts up your piece so you can easily paint the bottom edges without getting paint on your floor or gumming up your brush!
- Zinsser Spray Shellac – spray on wood surfaces that might bleed through (like cherry, mahogany, or oak), and surfaces that have rings that might pop through.
Homemade Chalk Paint Supplies
Find homemade chalk paint recipes in my eBook, The Beginner’s Guide to Chalky Finish Painting.