Thank you for visiting my Chalky Finish Paint Product List page! Here you will find products that I recommend for most chalky finish paint projects.
Chalky Finish Paint Product List
This list contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a small commission at no added cost to you if you purchase through the links. If you’d like to know more, please read my full disclosure policy here.
Chalky Finish Paints I Love
I have tried many brands of chalky finish paint and have found that you don’t have to buy the priciest paints to get the best results! These are the ones I really like:
- DecoArt’s Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint
- FAT Paint
- Country Chic Paint
- ArtMinds Chalky Paint (available at Michaels)
Must-Haves for Every Situation
- Quality Paint Brushes in Variety of Sizes
- Lint-free Rags – used for cleaning piece to be painted and for buffing finishing wax
- Wax Brush – used for applying finishing wax
- Mineral Spirits – used for removing wax from wax brush
- Sealer (use either a wax or a tough coat liquid sealer. My preference is wax, except for on table tops.)
- Finishing Wax
- SC Johnson Paste Wax – this is the wax I use most regularly. It has a strong odor and should be used in a well-ventilated space, but it is easy to use and produces a gorgeous, durable, and velvety finish every time. I love it!
- Americana Décor Crème Wax – this wax has hardly any odor and is a much thinner consistency than the SC Johnson Paste Wax. I can’t speak to its long-term durability on furniture, but I have had good results with it on decorative accent pieces.
- General Finishes High Performance Topcoat– this is used in place of a finishing wax. I love it on tabletops.
- Finishing Wax
- Drop cloth – to protect your work surfaces.
Other Supplies You May Want or Need
- 220 grit Sandpaper
- Electric sander – for pieces that need to be roughed up or have damage removed prior to painting.
- Drill Head Buffer – makes buffing waxed pieces so much easier!
- Bench Cookies – boosts up your piece so you can easily paint the bottom edges without getting paint on your floor or gumming up your brush!
- Zinsser Spray Shellac – spray on wood surfaces that might bleed through (like cherry, mahogany, or oak), and surfaces that have rings that might pop through.
Homemade Chalk Paint Supplies