Valentine’s Day isn’t the biggest holiday, but it sure is one of the cutest! My family celebrates with chocolate fondue (and everything you can imagine to dip, dunk, and drizzle). This year I decided to be “extra” and make a fun DIY Valentine’s Backdrop to go with our celebration!
The idea for this Love Letter Photo Background came to me in the middle of the night. (I guess I have to thank my husband for stealing the sheets so I’d wake up freezing and have this idea pop into my head!) I’ve been all about Valentine’s love letter crafts this year (check out my video for a DIY Love Note Door Hanger), so this was the natural progression, I suppose.
I made this totally with items from Dollar Tree, so it just goes to show you that you can be cute and frugal! (Curious about the best craft supplies to buy at Dollar Tree? Read that post!)
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to make your own DIY Valentine’s Backdrop, and if you have any questions feel free to drop me a comment or DM me on Instagram!
- Poster board - 2 sheets
- Heart-shaped balloons - 1 package / 12 balloons
- "LOVE" foil balloon - 1 count
- Construction paper / scrapbook paper
- Masking tape
- Poster putty
- With the poster board set so the widest side is toward you, cut the top into an inverted "V" shape, or to a point.
- Tape that cut poster board to the other poster board along the back. This means there is no tape on the front of the poster board yet.
- Next, tape along the top left and right edges where the two poster boards meet. This secures those edges, but leaves the long seam open.
- Decorate the poster boards with markers to make them look like a large envelope. I drew a dashed line along the edge where the two boards meet (to look like a folded edge), and a solid line along the rest of the envelope. I also drew an inverted "V" at the bottom of the poster board to look like the fold at the bottom of the envelope.
- If desired, cut a heart out of scrapbook paper and attach it to the envelope. Or, draw one. I also wrote "XOXOXO" along the bottom of the envelope.
- Use poster putty to attach the giant envelope to the wall.
- Next, blow up heart-shaped balloons in varying sizes. Attach the balloons to the wall with masking tape to make them look like they're falling out of the envelope.
- Finally, blow up the foil "LOVE" balloon and attach that to the wall the same way.
- Take pictures in front of your DIY Valentine Backdrop, and enjoy the memories of your fun day!
- I purchased all supplies for this DIY Photo Backdrop from Dollar Tree. Unfortunately, none of the products I used are available online at Dollar Tree's website. I have linked similar products that are available on Amazon in case this helps.
- I found that the balloons stuck to the wall better if I applied the tape to the wall, and then pressed the balloon onto the tape. I think this allowed the "flattest" part of the balloon to make contact with the wall, which helps the balloons stay put.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 42 Inch Red LOVE Foil Balloons for Valentines Day Decor, 4Pcs Reusable Large Love Mylar Letter Valentines Day Balloons, for Engagement Anniversary Wedding Bridal Shower Valentines Day Decorations
- 100Pack Heart Shaped Balloons, White Light Pink Red Heart Balloons Premium Helium Love Latex Balloons For Wedding Valentine's Day Decorations(With Pink & White Ribbon)
- 5 pack - Poster Boards
- Scotch General Purpose Masking Tape