Holy moly, you guys! We’re into Week Four of the One Room Challenge already! If you’ve been following along with my master bathroom makeover over the past several weeks – thank you! And if you’ve just made your way here for the first time – welcome and take a peek at what I’ve been up to in Week One, Week Two, and Week Three! I just looked back at Week One and cannot believe the difference already – and there’s still so much to do!
This week I worked myself to exhaustion – no joke! By Sunday evening I was absolutely D.O.N.E and was actually crying over this bathroom. Trying to do all of this work by myself while working and running my household is getting to me! But I feel like I’m over the hump now (famous last words), and with two weeks left to go I’m trying to give myself a pep talk to finish strong.
Anyway, my HUGE progress this week was priming and repainting the bathroom walls, moulding, and windows. If you’ve ever taken a room from dark to super light, you know just how much work goes into it! Before I show you the incredible difference a paint job made in this bathroom, let me remind you of what the paint, trim, and moulding looked like when I started this challenge:
Thank you to Sherwin-Williams for providing the paint used in this project. The opinions in this post are entirely my own.
And now here’s what it looks like!
It’s like a night and day difference (get it – dark to light? So funny!)!
Not only does it look good, but it’s going to actually function well in this bathroom.
Do you remember how I disclosed the mildew problem we were having in this bathroom (if not, check it out in Week One’s post)? The poor ventilation was leading to a cracking ceiling and mildew on the ceiling and walls. So gross.
Because of that I did some research on how to combat mildew in bathrooms, and I was surprised to find out that you can actually buy paint that inhibits mold and mildew growth, and it’s perfect for bathrooms! How brilliant is that?
Armed with this knowledge and my makeover plan, I headed into Sherwin-Williams and picked up all of the supplies I needed to help mildew-proof my bathroom walls:
- Water Blocking Primer/Finish
- Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex Paint for the walls in Snowbound
- ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel for the trim in Extra White
And then I got to work. Big time. Despite this bathroom not having a lot of paintable surface area, this was no small task.
I started by priming all of the dark wood moulding and trim with Water Blocking Primer/Finish. This primer reduces odors and blocks moisture, which is EXACTLY what I need to happen in my bathroom.
Not so glamorous, but necessary.
Once the primer dried on the moulding and trim, I moved onto the walls. (This was strategic to do as little taping as possible. It made sense in my mind to do it this way.)
I used Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex Paint in a creamy white called Snowbound. It’s a paint and primer in one that has stain-blocking technology built in, contains agents to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew (SCORE!), and is really easy to wash and clean. In short, it is the perfect paint for any bathroom!
Look at this beautiful white wall! (And try not to notice the 100% illegal electrical panel on that wall. I told you before that this previous owner’s DIY bathroom was a DISASTER!)
The Emerald paint went on smoothly and evenly, and I cannot wait for it to do its mildew-preventing job!
Once I finished the walls, I moved onto actually painting the moulding and trim. For this I used ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel, which is a great paint that goes on very smooth (minimal brush marks), and has great durability and washability. When you’re going extra white, that’s important!
After working most of Sunday to get the moulding and trim from dark to bright white, I was ecstatic to have a smooth and glossy finish on my trim and windows! (See the smile on my face in the mirror? I’m so happy.)
I still have some touchup work to do on the trim and windows (filling some gaps, putting another coat on some missed spots, etc.), but on the whole I’d say this painting job is done! It looks good and I am thrilled that it will help prevent the mildew we were seeing before.
And that means the pretty details will be working their way into my master bathroom soon! Jasper is excited to know that soon he won’t have to spend so much time in here with me on the ladder.
Let’s take a look at the to-do list now that the painting is finished:
Patch drywall Scrape ceiling Re-paint ceiling Paint moulding Paint windows Paint walls
- Paint pocket doors (or maybe replace these . . . )
- Re-stain window sills
Change light fixtures Paint vanity
- Make cornice boards for over windows
- Create art to replace mirror near toilet
- Tailor shower curtain to fit non-standard shower entry
- Shop for decor for bathroom
With two weeks to go I feel like I am in pretty good shape. But . . . I am traveling this weekend so maybe I’m not. We’ll see.
Anyway, thanks for checking out this week’s progress! I hope you’ll come back next week to see some of the fun decorative elements making their way into this bathroom! Also, swing by the challenge page to see what the other linking participants accomplished this week!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO SEE THESE ONE ROOM CHALLENGE POSTS